Nicknames: “Sonny”, Angelo Matero (transcript error,See Transcript I: Volume 5: page 109.)
Died: December 11, 2006
Affiliation: New England Mafia, Winter Hill Gang
Angelo “Sonny” Mercurio, a native of Boston’s West End, home of the richest and High technological Hospital in the World: Massachusetts General Hospital right up the street from the North End’s Little Italy section of Boston, He was a high end player and serial killer within the Boston’s gangland landscape but achieved fame for one act of betrayal. Mercurio was upgraded to a Top Echelon informant in May 1988.
Salemme attempted murder:
FBI agent James Ring’s testimony June 9, 1998 Transcript at 99. June 15, 1998 Transcript at 22.Salemme, 91 F.Supp.2d 141 (D.Mass.1999). In 1989, he instigated and fomented violence while working as the Boston and Washington, D.C.’s FBI and United States Department of Justice TOP ECHELON informant he helped planned the June 1989 William “The Wild Guy” Grasso murder and the June 16, 1989 Francis P. Salemme attempted murder which Vincent Marino and Enrico Ponzo were charged and indicted for.
- Marino was found NOT PROVEN Beyond a reasonable doubt for the June 16, 1989 Salemme attempted murder depicted as predicate racketeering act A-2 in Count One: RICO and Count Two: RICO conspiracy.
- See United States v. Marino, criminal action #97-40009-NMG. (District of Massachusetts/Boston/Worcester)December 22, 1999 VERDICT SHEET.
However, with the government’s/Assistant United States Attorney’s: Auerhahn and Young’s urging the Court: Nathaniel M. Gorton, dramatically enhanced Marino’s sentence and extra 25 years for the June 16, 1989 Salemme attempted murder even though the JURY DID NOT CONVICT MARINO of it.
- According to United States v. Salemme, 91 F.Supp.2d at page 263, described Mercurio with the assistance of James “Whitey” Bulger and Stephen “The Rifleman” Flemmi set up Salemme to be shot while all three Mercurio, Bulger and Flemmi worked as TOP ECHELON FBI informants for FBI agents: Connolly (now serving 40 years for murder see State of Florida v. Connolly, #__(Miami, Florida September 22, 2008, Flemmis testimony that he (Flemmi) and Bulger made cash payoffs to FBI agents: Buckley and Connolly in the 1980s through the 1990s for the agents to protect their criminal organization from its enemies (according to the government includes Marino and Ponzo) and Law Enforcement investigations.
Moreover see United States v. Salemme, 91 F.Supp.2d pages 267-269 (Exhibits: 188-246) (D.Mass.1999) (UNDER SEAL) describes Mercurio setting up the Salemme attempted murder and other highly credible informants stating that Mercurio set up Salemme to be shot etc.It is CLEAR that the FBI gave Mercurio a free pass on the Salemme shooting, as Mercurio instigated and fomented violence the June 16, 1989 Salemme attempted murder and the 1989 Grasso murder as the PUBLIC RECORDS so support.Mercurio also helped expose the FBI‘s close relationship.
- According to Marino v. Department of Justice , et al., civil action #12-cv-865-RMC. (District of Columbia) PENDING; and Marino v. U.S. Attorneys Office District of Massachusetts, et al., civil action #12-cv-872-RMC. (District of Columbia) PENDING,
The government stated on PUBLIC RECORD that they have from 200,000 pages to One Million pages of documents that were concealed from Marino that may lead to Marino’s Actual, Factual and Legal Innocence of the June 16, 1989 Salemme attempted murder and Count One: RICO and Count Two: RICO conspiracy, and may also lead to egregious governmental misconduct such as the 1980s to the 1990s cash payoffs to FBI agents: Connolly and Buckley long before Marino agent: Michael J Buckley fraudulently testified against Marino in front of the April 1997 Federal Grand Jury and 1998 and 1999 Jury trials.
- See United States v. Marino,CR-97-40009-NMG. (District of Massachusetts/Worcester).However, the government is charging Marino close to $9,000 for them to search for the documents responsive to Marino’s Freedom of Information Act/Privacy Act Requests.
Marino is currently seeking a Fee Waiver for the search fees and documents as it is in the PUBLIC INTEREST for Marino to receive the documents some of which should have been handed over since 1989 over 24 years ago. Specifically concerning the Salemme attempted murder of June 16, 1989 and the FBI agents: Connolly and Buckley payoffs as described under oath by the government’s deemed highly credible witness Flemmi on September 22, 2008. See State of Florida v. Connolly, (Miami, Florida).
- See United States v. Connolly, (FBI agent), 341 F.3d 16-29 (1st Cir.2003) held that FBI agent Connolly was part of the Salemme, Flemmi and Bulger’s criminal organization and protected it from its enemies and Law Enforcement.
Mercurio also achieved fame for another act of betrayal. In 1989, he informed the FBI of an upcoming Mafia induction ceremony arranged by Raymond “Junior” Patriarca in Medford, Massachusetts. Mercurio gave information that lead to the First Time Ever bugging of a Mafia Induction Ceremony.Although later it has been determined by Chief Judge: Mark L. Wolf, United States District Court Judge District of Massachusetts Boston, that the feds: Chief of the New England Organized Crime Strike Force: Diane Kottmyer, and FBI agent: Robert Steffans to have intentionally misrepresented matters of law and facts to a United States District Court Judge concerning both the application and warrant to facilitate that bugging.Both Kottmyer and Steffans facilitated false and misleading affidavits/declarations containing false and misleading information to get the bug approved by U.S. District Court Judge: David “Altimmers” Nelson, U.S. District Judge District of Massachusetts Boston, to approve the ORDER. Generating Fruit from a poisonous tree doctrine.Moreover, the government also precluded the facts the FBI agents: Connolly and Buckley instigated and fomented violence which includes the June 1989 Grasso murder and the June 16, 1989 Salemme attempted murder that charges Marino and Ponzo with via:
- United States v. Marino, CR-97-40009-NMG. (District of Massachusetts) see indictment page 7 and December 22, 1999 Verdict Sheet showing predicate racketeering Act- A-2 Salemme attempted murder depicted in Count One: RICO and Count Two: RICO conspiracy charges against Marino and Ponzo.
FBI agents: Buckley and Connolly along with their TOP ECHELON informants: Mercuiro, Bulger and Flemmi sets up Salemme to be shot while all three worked as FBI informants for agents: Buckley and Connolly.
- See Salemme, 91 F.Supp.2d 263 (D.Mass.Boston 1999). In support.Also see Salemme, 91 F.Supp.2d 311 (D.Mass.1999) FBI agent Connolly instigation of the Salemme attempted murder.Connolly, 341 F.3d 16-29 (1st Cir.2003) FBI agent Connolly , part of the Salemme, Flemmi, Bulger criminal organization.
State of Florida v. Connolly (FBI agent), #__(Miami, Florida, Sept. 22, 2008’s Flemmi’s testimony that he made cash payoffs to FBI agents: Buckley and Connolly in the 1980s through the 1990s for the agents to protect their criminal organization from their enemies which according to the government was Marino and Ponzo among others and law enforcement investigations and indictments).
In 1989, Mercurio informed the FBI of an upcoming Mafia induction ceremony arranged by Raymond “Junior” Patriarca in Medford, Massachusetts, just outside of Boston.The Feds wired the house for sound, and the entire ceremony was taped for posterity.It was a coup for Mercurio’s handlers: FBI agent John Connolly Jr., and Michael J. Buckley.Mercurio even turned down the sound on the TV so that the reception for the bug would be heard and recorded clearly.Mercurio, who had a number of run-ins with the law since he was 15 years old charged with murder, was an admitted FBI informant on PUBLIC RECORD in the Salemme hearings.
- United States v. Salemme , 91 F.Supp.2d 141 (D.Mass.1999).
Federal witness protection program:
He died in the federal witness protection program in 2006. Published reports indicate that he may have regretted the role he played in taking down the Patriarca Family Organization.There exists a FBI FD 209 reports which was authored by FBI agent: Connolly from information he received from Mercurio, which Mercurio implicates Marino in the June 16, 1989 Salemme attempted murder.Mercurio after setting up Salemme to be shot on June 16, 1989, was allowed to flee by Assistant United States Attorney: Diane Kottmyer (Now a Suffolk Superior Court Judge in Boston’s State Court rewarded for her corruption), and FBI agents: Buckley, Connolly and Ring according to public records.This misconduct had been intentionally placed under seal by the United States Department of Justice to avoid any transparent corresponding accountability and to avoid releasing Marino from prison. Which is is held 16 and half years over.Mercurio entered the federal Witness Protection Program and was relocated to Little Rock Arkansas were he later died of a pulmonary embolism at the age of 70.