Address: Boston’s Beacon Hill
Born: 1931, East Boston, Massachusetts
Died: “June 1998, Springfield, Missouri Federal Prison Medical Center
Affiliation: Patriarca Family, Lucchese Family.
Russo was one of the most infamous nefarious gangsters in New England history. He was dubbed “a genius with a carbine” by fellow mobster and powerful high ranking Capo Illario Zannino for the way he gunned down hit-man turned stool pigeon Joseph Baron “The Animal” Barboza, while Barboza was on the Federal Witness Protection Program in 1976, in San Francisco, California.Barboza was the first guy ever to be killed while on the Federal Witness Protection Program.Russo was described by the government as being an unindicted coconspirator of Marino.But it wasn’t just Russo’s killing skills that made him memorable. it was the way he conducted part of a one extremely famous, NOW not so secret Mafia ritual.
A mob boss in 1989, of the New England Mafia, he literally killed his way to the top, known for his extremely expensive custom made suits and sharp features, pure white full set of hair, Russo tracked Barboza to San Francisco, where he cut down the FBI informant with four close-range shotgun blasts on February 11, 1976. Barboza admitted to killing over 29 people. And Five more while he was on the Federal Witness Protection Program. Which with a plea deal he only served 3 years in State Prison for them, only because the Boston’s FBI H. Paul Rico and Dennis Condon as well as then United States Attorney Edward Harrington, vouched for him with a promise to the State prosecutions prosecutors that they will testify on Barboza’s behalf if it went to trial. However after Barboza served his sentence he was greeted with a gift four shot gun blasts from a shotgun caring Russo.The murder of the burly Barboza was enough to win Russo notoriety among his mob peers, nation wide.But his raspy voice on an FBI tape of a mob induction ceremony that made him infamous.
The site of the October 29, 1989 ceremony was an ordinary yellow house in Medford, Massachusetts that was the home to the sister of Vincent Federico and her husband Angelo, who was partners with Marino’s aunt Anna in a Restaurant called Bernado’s on Fleet Street in Boston’s North End Little Italy section.Federico was one of the four men scheduled to become made men in the Patriarca crime family, according to public accounts.Captured for posterity, Russo is heard issuing the 300 plus year old Mafia sacred oath of “Omerta,” or silence, to the four new members.It was at this same ceremony that Russo would be named head of the New England Mafia.Listening, as the men pricked their trigger fingers to draw blood and burned holy cards of saints, was a team of FBI agents, most of later were found to be corrupted by James “Whitey” Bulger and Stephen “The Rifleman” Flemmi via: Receiving cash payoffs to protect their criminal organization from its enemies The New England Mafia and Marino and Ponzo also from law enforcement investigations and indictments. Also see United States v. Connolly ( FBI agent), 341 F.3d 16-24 (1st Cir.2003), showing Agent Connolly part of the Salemme, Flemmi and Bulger’s criminal organization.
Russo was a real live gangster.As the men pricked their trigger fingers to draw blood and burned holy cards the Catholic Saints, was a team of FBI agents who were building a case against the mob. Six months after that ceremony, twenty mob members, including Patriarca Family figure head: Raymond “Junior” Patriarca and the real live Boss: Joseph J.R. Russo, his half brother Carrozza as well as Ferrara and others would be indicted on charges that included racketeering (The RICO STATUTE) racketeering conspiracy (RICO conspiracy Statute), gambling, extortion, drug trafficking and murder.
Russo later died in Federal Prison Medical Center in Springfield, Missouri, where he was serving 13 years under a plea-agreement via: an Afred Plea, which was derived from the United States Supreme Courts case Alfred v. United States,which allows a criminal defendant to plead under the Alfred plea of guilty, which essential means that the defendant (Russo) is not actually admitting guilt to killing Barboza, but admits that the government may have enough to convict him of the crime had it went to trial.
- For the record that famous Mafia induction ceremony tapes were later found by a Federal Chief Judge: Mark L. Wolf be obtained illegally, as the affiant FBI agent: Steffens and Assistant United States Attorney : Chief of the New England Organized Crime Strike Force: Diane Kottmyer, filed false and misleading affidavits, application and reports to support the ROVING surveillance Warrant.Diane Kottmyer an Assistant United States Attorney District of Massachusetts, also unlawfully, allowed Angelo “Sonny”Mercurio to flee after she knew he set-up Salemme to be shot on June 16, 1989 and the June 1989, Grasso murder while Mercurio worked as a TOP ECHELON FBI informant for the United States Department of Justice and its components: the FBI .
CAST OF CORRUPTED FBI AGENT CHARACTERS:
- FBI agent: Connolly has been convicted in Federal Court of RICO and served a 10 year prison sentence and is now convicted of murder in Florida State court is is now serving a 40 year state prison sentence.
- FBI agent: Morris receive immunity from prosecution and admitted taking large sums of cash payoffs from James “Whitey” Bulger and Stephen “The Rifleman” Flemmi.
- FBI agent: Callen was fired from the FBI for intentionally choking out a women federal prosecutor in Court.
- FBI agent: Newton was fired for receiving cash payoffs from James “Whitey” Bulger and Stephen “The Rifleman” Flemmi.
- FBI agent: H. Paul Rico, was the original FBI handlers of Stephen “The Rifleman” Flemmi and James “Whitey” Bulger was eventually indicted for a Oklahoma murder of Roger Wheeler and died while in State Prison custody awaiting a murder trial.
- FBI agent: Gamel, retired after he was sued by Marino, Marino v. Gammel, 191 F.Supp.2d 243 (D.Mass.2002); and is now believe in the private sector running a Security Firm.